Monday 30 November 2015

Trees

I've had a very busy week. I signed up for Julie Gibbons 5 days of Mandala Magic which happened last week. Each day videos and excercises to do with mandalas opened up. I had hoped it would help me with Zendalas. If I knew more about Mandalas and their symbols perhaps I would be better able to chose tangle patterns to make Zendalas with. It didn't quite work out like that but I did learn an awful lot about Mandalas and I was able to use tangle patterns in some of the excercises we were set. Here is a concentric circle Mandala that I made:-
You will notice I put a gemstone in the centre of the Mandala. That is the other thing I was busy with last week. The Zentangle groups on Facebook have gone gem mad (not, I am glad to say, my beloved Purely Zentangle Facebook group;-). I am still practicing gems, using these instructions. As I didn't have a white pen I just left a white kidney shaped gap at the top of the dark area and that seemed to work, but next day I went in search of a white pen and that really made a difference.

Glassy gems are another string to my bow, but I think we have to be careful about when and where they are used. I know there are some tangle patterns such as Pookroot and verdigogh which look pretty real in some artists hands, but by and large ZIA's are abstract drawings so I don't suddenly want large jewellery springing up in the middle of them. I think it is really amazing how you can create things that look like glass or gems out of just paint or crayons, but I prefer it when it is used as an embellishment just like we sometimes use dewdrops. Here I have put three zen gems in the gaps at the centre and corners of this Hamadox, but it is the tangle which is the focus of the tile.
Having said I think ZIA's are largely abstract drawings this week's Diva Challenge is to pick a tangle and draw trees with it. Now last week I branched out with Hollibaugh challenge and made trees out of the Hollibaugh tangle, so this week I have used the tangle pattern Twiggy which is designed to look like a tree, but I added small green zen gems on each branch to represent an apple tree.

23 comments:

  1. Your gems look fantastic and the little apple tree is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your jewelled tree. I've never seen jewels before. Must have a try myself. I understand your point about the potential for them to dominate a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the jewels. Having done the tutorial and given them a try, I shall be sparing in my use of them from now on. They are fun, though, aren't they? I love your little jewelled apple tree, though, a very clever idea. The mandala is impressive too. You've had a very productive week, haven't you? By the way, it was me who offered to send you the white pen - Maggibee, from Magratscraft.wordpress.com. Any time you can't get things over there in foreign parts, I'm willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If you're willing to use EBay or something where foreign exchange is easy as can be and I can find anything on there I'd be willing to help you out as well. Let me know. My email: hungrycorgistudio@gmail.com.
      Sarah.

      Delete
  4. I love your zendala and also the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a great mandala artist! And the gemstones are some of the best I've seen. I've not attempted them yet. Beautiful tree as well. Always love visiting your page. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! I love your "gemstones"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work with the gemstones. Your tree is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gem stone frenzy is amazing. Yours are really well done with a nice sparkle to them. Your mandala is very nice as is your tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YT, your gems are amazing!! I didn't know about that tutorial. Your mandala is beautiful ... (I did the 5 day class last year - it was fun) ... I love all your tiles and your apple tree is lovely!! :) :)

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/11/my-diva-monotangle-tree-challenge-entry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those gems brighten up your (already!) beautiful tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am getting a bit blingy myself - the gems are really addictive. I absolutely love yours. I thought (I DID) sign up for the Mandala thingy but I haven't received anything....
    I LOVE the apple tree! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your tree and your gem. I have only done one gem tile so far, will wait to do others. Getting ready to work on my tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mandala is really fantastic! Great choice of pattern!
    And your little apple tree is cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh sweet! Little gems everywhere. Aren't they fun to make, and they turn out SO nice. But your mandala is truly wonderful, and that tree with the little green gems...just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Gorgeous work! I love your Gems. I got a little carried away with those this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the simplicity of your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your zen gems and how you use them to embellish and not to be the focus of your tiles. These are some wonderful pieces.

    Thanks for the link on how to do the gems as I had not yet seen this tutorial. (I limit myself to facebook groups with just the basics, as it helps me keep my focus and I am easily distracted.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of your tiles are lovely. The little apple tree reminds me of something from a Dr. Seuss book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tiles! I love the gems, and must go check out the tutorial on how to draw them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great blog post - I have to agree with you about trying to keep Zentangle as abstract … but those gems are really fun to do! I love your tree with the gems - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I stopped by to see your tree, and I saw much more! First, the tree: beautiful. I was not familiar with Twiggy, but will look it up. (I always learn from you!) Second, the gems: I wholeheartedly agree with you on how / if they should be used. You have definitely mastered them, which is not an easy trick! Bravo for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete