Monday 23 November 2015

Hollibaugh

Swedish Noir TV shows are quite big over here at the moment. I don't know how it took off but all of a sudden everyone seemed to be talking about them. We are super excited because a big favourite - The Bridge - has started. For those who may not know it is a crime drama where the deaths occur close to a bridge which connects both Sweden and Denmark and so needs the police forces of both countries to work together. The main detective, Saga, has Asperger's Syndrome and it is interesting to see how she copes with her job and life. I find myself comparing Saga to Sheldon from The Big Bang  Theory. The Bridge is not a comedy, and they are completely different types of programmes, but I think both Sheldon and Saga must play that part of their characters well as they do seem to me to resemble each other. Has anyone else out there noticed this?

The Diva has asked us to go back to basics and use Hollibaugh this week. I love Hollibaugh, the way it twists and turns, and you can do so much with it. Tangle the spaces, leave the space clear, turn it into something else etc. The first thing I wanted to do today was use Hollibaugh to make trees and so I created this tile.

When it was finished I decided the branches and roots hadn't crossed enough to really qualify for her challenge and so I made a more traditional Hollibaugh, but on a renaissance tile. I usually draw a very narrow border around my tile in order to give me as much tangling room as possible, but this time I did a very broad border and was quite pleased with the result.



19 comments:

  1. Wow, love both your tiles. Off to practice I seem to have a little trouble with this tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are great tiles but I really love the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very cool. That second one is a technique I've played with now and then, but yours is truly gorgeous! And the idea of trees with branches and roots...hmmm...*stealing*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you would have received any Hollibaugh bashing if you had stuck with the first tile, but I'm glad you kept going because I also like the second one. Are you trying to tell me to substitute peas for the Thanksgiving dinner brussel sprouts? (Inside joke).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both tiles. Like trees in any form and keep a file of them. And the second one reminds us less is more!! Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those trees and I like how you did Hollibaugh in a negative style. Fabulous pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both of these and the 3D on the second one is really good. I haven't seen either of the TV shows you mentioned so I don't know if there is much similarity between the characters/actors, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both so very well drawn. I love them both in their own different way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love these. So unique and that second one is Escher-esque. VERY interesting to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tiles, especially the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I left the UK before The Bridge took hold so can't really comment on the first part of your post. But I have to say how much I love both your tiles! The tree is an excellent example of Hollibaugh in the 'wild' and your second tile is stunning. It's a version of Hollibaugh I haven't mastered yet but love how it grows organically out of the tile itself. Great work!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both are wonderful! Especially I like your Hollibaugh trees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very original and beautiful tiles. Both are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool trees, YT!! :) I really like the 2nd one with the bubbles near the centers!! Sounds like a good show ... there is another show (forgetting the name) that take place near the border of Sweden and maybe Norway ... it is a guy and it sounds similar. :) :)

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/11/my-diva-hollibaugh-challenge-entry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely tiles! I especially like the trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pieces! I love those trees;-)

    ReplyDelete